I don't claim to be an expert on anything; however, since becoming a mom last summer there a few things I have learned (mostly all through trial and error). As my dad always says, "I don't know a lot about a lot, but I do know a little about a little." Thankfully, motherhood is an area where I now know a little. It is the greatest joy and biggest transition I have ever known from my previous life.
I'd like to share what Motherhood Is to me...other moms out there may be able to relate:) And yes, all of these are true stories of my 6 months as Sam's mom!
MOTHERHOOD IS...
-Motherhood Is..Finding a teething ring in my makeup bag.
-Motherhood Is..Getting ready to walk into an office with my black suit and heels on, and realizing there is an odor on my shoulder. Don't worry, I have put on a jacket that has dried spit up on the shoulder! Guess that one didn't make it to the dry cleaning bag.
-Motherhoods Is..Picking a little person's "boogies" and not being grossed out one bit. I actually feel a sense of accomplishment.
-Mother and Fatherhood Is..Having a Friday night date with my handsome hubby at Babies R Us buying a car seat only to end with a romantic dinner of chicken-n-dumplins at the Cracker Barrel. (bc it's family friendly of course, and there's always the big cozy fireplace!)
-Motherhood Is..Realizing that going to the gym is going to be a lot harder now bc A)they must have childcare but do you really want to have your child in daycare for 8 hours only to be followed by another hour of daycare at a gym? No. or B)you have to have a babysitter C)You use your baby to exercise, Sam weighs almost 22 lbs...Perfect weight!
-Motherhood Is..Realizing that, pre-baby, in all your childbirth classes and books you read made you a staunch "By the Book" mom only to find out that after the baby is born, "By the Book" is not always "REAL LIFE". Like at some point, the baby is going to roll over and fall asleep on his tummy. Or, sometimes the pacifier falls on the floor, but it's not always easy to scald it, sanitize it and clean it with everything under the sun. Works perfectly fine to stick it your mouth, or a nearby glass of tea is great too.
-Motherhood Is..My friend told me this would happen: learning to take the world's QUICKEST showers. and I mean Guiness Book quick. And you can forget shaving your legs each time, armpits always, but legs, they can wait one more day. You have a baby sitting outside the shower getting restless and not liking the bouncy seat anymore. You have to hurry!!
-Motherhood Is..Wondering if the 8th wonder of the world could possibly be baby gadgets. You really come to appreciate the swing, the exersaucer, the Johnny Jump Up, the Bumbo, the Leap Frog, the Praise Baby DVDs and the Ole Standard--the pallet on the floor. The more gadgets/gear=the better and easier your life will be. However, it would be amazing if someone could come up with some SOCKS that will actually stay on baby's feet.
-Motherhood Is..Not thinking twice about the conversations you now have with girlfriends, sorority sisters, moms, grandmoms and the random lady at the Publix checkout. These conversations almost always include:
-breastfeeding. did you breastfeed? how long? you get points if you did, you get more points the longer you did it.
-makes/models of breastpumps. you get points for Medela/Double Electric
-how old is baby? how big is baby? you get more points for having a fatter baby
-who is your pediatrician? opinions greatly vary but we LOVE our family practice
physician.
-which carseats are best? You get points for Graco, Chicco, Peg-Perego, Eddie Bauer and Britax.
-which daycares are best? you get more points for being in the top daycare eschelon, which include prestigious churches or University Programs, where one has to be on a waiting list before baby is conceived, along with your $1200.00 deposit, before baby is even born.
-how does baby sleep? you get MAJOR points if he sleeps all night, and you might get a prize if he sleeps in his own bed.
-who is your baby's photographer? you get points for the doing the "one year package" with newborn, 3M, 6M, 9M and One Year pics. you score extra points if you are paying the equivalent of a mortgage payment on your baby's first year pictures.
Note: I think all of these are funny and you do get what you pay for. I do have some "points" from this list! I just think the trends are very entertaining!! :)
-Motherhood and Fatherhood Is..Staying awake the first few nights baby is in his own crib to just sit together on our bed and stare at the video monitor. However, baby is in fact only one room over. We could probably hear him but feel 10 times better by being able to look at a monitor, especially Chris :) Every other question is, "Is he breathing?" "Yeah, I think so." "Go check." Repeat.
-and Thinking the video monitor will come in handy during the teenage years, granted it still works!
-Motherhoods Is..Being completely satisfied when your house looks like a State of Emergency. And I mean, it truly is a great feeling. That God has provided a house to begin with, a sweet baby and the fact people have given our child so many wonderful toys and books. Who cares if it's a total disaster? This ain't better homes or gardens :) Children don't remember messes, they remember fun times and the love they feel.
-Motherhood Is..Being able to appreciate in your heart all the mothers and grandmothers of the world. Especially mine. I love you mama, Gee, MeMe, Dandy, Ruby, Jane, Granny Edna and Granny McCune!
-Motherhood Is..Soaking up the truth that God DELIGHTS in us, adults, as His babies.His beloved kids. Just like when I am rocking Sam at 2 in the morning. I'm not consumed with any mistakes he has made that day. I'm not worried about how he might mess up tomorrow. I'm not comparing him to anyone else in the world. I simply love holding him and wanting GREAT and SUPERNATURAL things for his life. That's how God sees us. I have to remind myself. It's an amazing love.
-Motherhood Is..Letting go. Letting go of fear for tomorrow, fretting over the future. Any feelings of anxiety over your child(ren) or family. Motherhood is giving your child to the Lord, knowing that He loves Sam more than Chris or I do....WOW!!! and knowing He will always take care of Sam. I simply get the amazing and important job of parenting him, guiding him and pointing him to Christ.
-Motherhood Is..a blessing. IT IS HAVING YOUR HEART WALK AROUND OUTSIDE YOUR BODY ALL THE TIME :)
God bless,
Alex
What a wonderful post Alex!!! I hope to meet Baby Sam soon!
ReplyDelete